The To-Do List makes it easy to track research and other tasks that need to be done. Legacy allows you to create General and Individual To-Do lists. For example, you can create a General To-Do list with books and microfilms to search when visiting a library; or create an Individual To-Do list for your great grandfather by listing that you need to find his obituary, his World War I service record, and his birth certificate. To-Do lists can be printed out for research trips or used as Research Logs to be placed with your transcriptions, photocopies, and correspondence.
To reach the General To-Do List, click the To-Do List button on the View tab of the Ribbon bar.
To reach an individual's To-Do List, click the To-Do List button on the toolbar below the Husband or Wife on the Family View or right-click on a person's name on the Pedigree, Descendant, or Index View and choose View > To-Do List from the popup menu.
To check out the QuickTip video on Getting Started in Legacy, Research Log, and SourceWriter, click here.
Find-Type the first few letters of a To-Do Item name to jump to it in the list.
To-Do Type-By default, General To-Do's display when opening the To-Do List from the toolbar or from the View tab of the Ribbon bar. By default, Individual To-Do's display when opening the To-Do List from an individual's Information screen, the Husband or Wife box in Family View, or the primary individual selected in Pedigree View. To select the type of To-Do item you want to view, click the Down arrow (to the left of the Close button) and choose from the list.
The To-Do Item List
Status - Indicates whether completed or not. O = Open, C = Closed
To-Do Item - Name of the task
Date - The opening date of the task.
Type - R = Research, C = Correspondence, O = Other
Priority - H = High, M = Medium, L = Low
Tag - To-Do Items tagged for printing
Tabs displaying an * contain information.
To-Do-Shows who or what the highlighted item is for as well as the task name, task type, status, open date, closed date, priority, and filing ID number.
Description-The name of the task to be done.
Results-The outcome of the task.
Repository-The location or repository to visit or contact to accomplish a task.
Filter Options-Lets you choose the criteria (category, locality, status, type, priority, and tagged) used to display To-Do items on the list. When your selection is complete, click the Apply Filter button. To see all To-Do items on the list, click the Show All button.
Sort Order-You can sort items on the To-Do List. For example, the primary consideration might be Status (Open), the second, Priority, and the third, Open Date. This order ensures that all items marked Open go to the top of the list, sorted by priority, then date. After selecting the three sort levels, click the Apply button for your choices to take effect.
Close-Click this button to exit the window.
Add-Click this button to add a new To-Do Item. (See Adding a To-Do Task for more information.)
Edit-Highlight an item on the list and click this button to edit it. (See Adding a To-Do Task for more information.)
Print-Click this button to go to the Print To-Do List screen where you can then print a To-Do List report. (See Print To-Do List for more information.)
Options-Choices include Delete, Combine Duplicates, Import, Tag All To-Do Items, Tag Only To-Do Items Listed, Untag All To-Do Items, Untag Only To-Do Items Listed and Zoom.
Map Highlighted To-Do Item to Another To-Do Item in the List-Select a To-Do item on the list that you want to combine with another item. Click the button and the button face changes to Highlight Destination To-Do Item. Then Click This Button.
To-Do Clipboard (Deluxe Edition only)
You can copy To-Do items to the clipboard and then paste them again where desired.
To copy a To-Do item to the clipboard:
1. Highlight the item you want to copy.
2. Click the button.
To paste an item from the clipboard to a list:
1. Open the To-Do list you want to add the item to.
2. Click the button.
The To-Do List contains a Tag column. You can tag a To-Do item by clicking its checkbox, or by highlighting the item and checking the box in the lower-left corner of the window.
Creating a New Item
To create a general To-Do item:
1. Click the To-Do button on the toolbar or select To-Do List from the View tab of the Ribbon bar.
2. To create an Individual To-Do item, click the To-Do button associated with the individual in Family View or Pedigree View, or open the Information screen and click the To-Do button.
3. In the To-Do List window, click the Add button to create a new To-Do Item.
4. In the To-Do Item window, select a category for the task in the Category field.
5. Enter the locality of the task in the Locality field.
6. Enter a task name in the Task Needing to be Done field.
7. Note that the Open Date defaults to the current date and the Status to Open when adding a new item.
8. If the Task involves visiting or writing to a specific place, click the Add button on the Repository tab to enter it on the Master Repository List. Type the name, address, phone number(s), plus e-mail and Internet addresses. If the location is already on the list, click the Select button and choose it from the Master Repository List.
9. Indicate the Type of task to be done by selecting Research, Correspondence, or Other.
10. Indicate the Priority of the task by selecting High, Medium, or Low.
11. Click the Task Description tab and enter a brief explanation of the Task.
12. Enter a summary of the results in the Results field.
13. Click the Save button when finished.
Editing an Item
To edit a To-Do item:
1. From the To-Do List screen, highlight the To-Do item to be edited.
2. Click the Edit button to modify the selected item.
3. Edit the To-Do item.
4. Click the Save button when done.
Note: The settings for the To-Do List screen are saved in a file called ToDo.usr in the [My Documents]\Legacy Family Tree\_AppData\Usr\ folder.
9-0066 : 50417