How Legacy Saves Option Settings
There are many customization options in Legacy. Some of these options apply to the program as a whole and others can be applied to specific family files. You will notice in the Customization section of Legacy, that each option title is followed by either (family file) or (global). The global options, like which family file to load when the program starts, navigation features, popup tooltips, etc., apply to Legacy in general. Other options, like editing options, marriage rules, data formatting, units of measure, etc., can be applied to specific family files. Different family files can have different option settings. As you open each family file, the options assigned to that specific file are used.
The Customize Legacy screen is reached by choosing Customize from the Options tab on the Ribbon bar.
Of course Legacy comes with its own list of default settings for all customization options. These are called Legacy-Defaults. But, you can also save your own list of default settings. These are called User-Defaults. When you get the overall look and feels of Legacy all set up the way you want it, you can save all the global settings as User-Defaults so that you can quickly change some or all of the options back to your defaults whenever you want to. When you get all the family file-specific options set to your liking, you can save them as future defaults as well. When you do this, all new family files that you create will use your settings. You don't have to reset them every time.
Saving User-Default Settings
As you make changes to option settings that apply either globally or to family files, you can save them whenever you want to. This can be done at three different levels:
1. To save the settings you have made to all the various section of the Customize Legacy screen, click on the Options for Default Settings button at the bottom of the screen and choose one of the Save... options. You can save just the global settings, just the family file settings, or all of them at once.
2. To save just the settings in the current section (General Settings, Data Entry, Data Format, etc.), click on the section title at the top of the screen and choose Save settings as User-Defaults from the popup menu. This saves any global settings in the section to the global user-defaults, and any family file settings to family file user-defaults.
3. To save just the settings in a specific sub-section, click on the sub-section title and choose Save settings as User-Defaults from the popup menu. The settings will be saved to the appropriate type of user-defaults (either global or family file).
Resetting the Options
To change the customized options back to either the user-default settings or the original Legacy-default settings, you can do any of the following:
1. To reset all the customization options in all the sections, click on the Options for Default Settings button at the bottom of the screen and choose either Reset to User-Defaults (which will reset everything to the values you previous saved) or Reset to Legacy-Defaults (which will reset everything to the original defaults used by Legacy).
2. To reset only the option settings pertaining to a particular section, click on the section title and choose either Reset to User-Defaults or Reset to Legacy-Defaults.
3. To reset just the settings in a specific sub-section, click on the sub-section title and choose either Reset to User-Defaults or Reset to Legacy-Defaults.