How to Import a PAF File
Personal Ancestral File® (PAF) is a popular genealogy program published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Ancestral Quest® is a genealogy program that saves its family files in a PAF database. Legacy directly imports PAF files.
To import a PAF file:
1. Choose Import From > Use Import Wizard to Help with any Import.
2. Select either PAF 2.31 or Ancestral Quest 2.x File, or PAF3/4/5 or Ancestral Quest 3.x File, and click Next. Legacy looks for all PAF files on all drives and displays them in a list for you.
3. In the list highlight the file to import and click Next to continue.
4. If you want to create a new family file to contain the PAF information, select Create a NEW Family File and add the PAF information to it. Click Proceed. You are prompted for a new file name.
5. If you want to add the information from the PAF file to your existing family file, select Add the PAF information to the EXISTING Family File. Click Proceed. Legacy prompts you to make a backup copy of it before the import is done (if you have turned on the reminder "Prompt to make a backup before importing into a family file with existing records"). This is a wise practice and is recommended.
6. Click the Start the Import button. The AutoSource Reminder screen appears. This feature lets you assign a master source citation to each individual and marriage record that is imported so that you know its origin. If the PAF file belongs to you, you can click Don't Assign a Source. If the PAF file comes from another person, you may want to click Select a Master Source and enter the originator's information.
7. Next, Legacy reads the information from the PAF file and places it in the appropriate family file.
To continue to the next topic; How to Link in Existing Individuals, click here.
To return to the Tutorial index, click here.