You can enter a mailing name, address, up to two phone numbers, an e-mail address, and a home page address for each individual in your family file.
The address screen is reached by clicking the Address icon on a person's information screen.
To add an address:
1. Click the Address icon. If you are entering an address for the first time, Legacy builds a standard name and puts it in the name field. You can leave it as is or change it as desired.
2. By default, the Sort String field is filled with the individual's name in surname, given names order. This field is used when you want to print address label reports that are sorted by surname.
3. Continue filling in the address, phone number(s), e-mail address, and home page address.
4. Select the style of output that you want to use for the address. The options are City, State, Postal Code or Postal Code, City, State. This setting is used when reports are printed. (Many European countries use the second option.)
5. Click at the right of E-mail and Home Pg addresses to send a message or connect to the Internet without leaving Legacy.
6. You can include the latitude and longitude for the location. (See Latitude and Longitude for more information on this subject.)
7. Check the mailing list(s) to place the person on. The choices are Newsletter, Family Association, Birthday, Research, Christmas, and Holiday.
8. Check the Tag box in the bottom right corner to mark this address for later reporting purposes.
9. Check the Private box if you do not want this address printed on reports or exported to other files.
10. Click the Notes tab to enter additional comments about this address.
11. You can record the latitude and longitude coordinates of a location if you know them. These are sometimes useful while trying to locate old cemeteries or when wanting the distance and direction from one town to another. The Deluxe Edition of Legacy includes a Distance and Bearing Calculator that can be used to find out how far any two points on earth are in miles or kilometers and what compass heading to take from one to the other. You can also convert decimal coordinate values to the required degrees, minutes and seconds. Click to access it. (See Distance and Bearing Calculator for more information.)
If you find a latitude/longitude pair that you like to put into Legacy, you can simple copy the pair and then paste them into either the latitude or longitude field. Legacy will analyze the pair and put the proper number in the proper fields.
Note: You can copy the current latitude and longitude values to the Windows Clipboard by clicking the small blue button in the lower-right corner of the Latitude and Longitude window.
Embedding Formatting Codes into the Notes
You can add formatting codes to your notes so that portions print in bold, italics, underline and superscript. These codes are used when printing reports, producing word processing files and Web pages. (See Text Formatting for complete information on how to do this.)
Searching for Text in Notes
You can search your notes for specific text by pressing Ctrl-F. This brings up the Find box where you can specify what to search for. (See Search Notes for more information.) To find subsequent occurrences of your search text, press F3.
The Save button saves the address and closes the window.
The Cancel button closes the window without saving any entries or changes.
The Address List button opens the Master Mailing Address List.
The Unlink button removes the link to the address in the Master Address List (after asking for confirmation) and closes the Address window.
The Repeat button repeats the entry made in the same field of the last address you entered during the current session. If the current field already contains an entry that would be overwritten by the Repeat option, Legacy asks for permission before replacing it. You can also use F8 or Alt-R or Ctrl-R to repeat a field. Clicking on the line labels also repeats the entries. Clicking on the "Address" label repeats both address lines. Clicking on any other, repeats just that line (including the "Name" field label). To repeat the entire address, right-click Repeat.
The Help button opens Legacy Help.
The Picture button opens the Media Gallery where pictures, sounds, videos, documents, and web site URLs can be attached.
9-1016 - 80623